The current public health crisis has exacerbated already devastating conditions for people experiencing homelessness. The number of unhoused people in New York City remains among the highest in the city’s history. Take Two NYC is working to reach those most in need during this time, and we’re asking for your help.
MAKE A DIFFERENCE NOW:
Donate $20 to guarantee 10 New Yorkers in need receive new socks.
Donate $40 to guarantee 20 New Yorkers in need receive new socks.
Donate $60 to guarantee 30 New Yorkers in need receive new socks.
HOW HAS THE PANDEMIC affected UNHOUSED NEW YORKERS?
- More than 50,000 New Yorkers are living on the streets, in crowded shelters, or in unstable housing, and even more are struggling to survive without essential resources needed to stay clean and healthy.
- With the closure or decreased access of many businesses and public facilities due to the pandemic, people experiencing homelessness have even fewer places to use a bathroom, wash up, access water, and stay warm.
- The physical and mental stress of the dangers of the pandemic is compounded by the express disregard for the lives of homeless New Yorkers. This includes the continuous action taken to displace already displaced people, forcing them to leave hotels where they had moved due to the pandemic, to unsafe group shelters.
- At a time when the safety and security of a home has become even more crucial, voices of hate and discrimination have been amplified and the criminalization of homelessness continues.
- In the wake of this surge of intolerance, others are rising up to advocate for their fellow New Yorkers.
HOW IS TAKE TWO NYC WORKING TO HELP NEW YORKERS IN NEED?
- We’re continuing core programs to help our unhoused neighbors – and to enable those who want to make a difference.
- We’re expanding our roster of corporate and nonprofit partners to reach more communities than ever before.
- We’re collaborating with organizations serving historically marginalized and oppressed populations, including LGBTQIA+ and BIPOC New Yorkers.
- We’re continuing school partnerships to deliver and expand our virtual homelessness education curriculum.
- We’re running sock drives and an online fall fundraiser in order to continue serving New Yorkers who lack access to essential supplies. We’ve distributed 1,000 pairs already this season with the goal of distributing thousands more over the next six months.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
Usually at this time of year, Take Two NYC is gearing up for our winter sock drive that’s followed by our solstice sock distribution. We began this tradition five years ago as a way to add warmth and light to the darkest day of the year. In place of an in-person event this year, we’re carrying on the tradition by going virtual!
Donate now to support our programs that provide New Yorkers in need with new socks and other essentials. Your act of giving will directly ensure New Yorkers in need receive warm socks this winter.
Interested in doubling your impact? Bring Take Two NYC to your company’s matching gift program this holiday season. For every $1 contributed by an employee of your company, 1 person in need will receive a pair of new socks. Contact us at email@example.com for details.
Take Two NYC Inc. is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, public charity registered with the Internal Revenue Service, Department of the Treasury. All donations are tax-deductible to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law.